Thursday, September 24, 2009

fish and chips

Well I didn't get the commercial – I mean that's it. The best thing to do as soon as you even go for a job is to forget it as soon as you leave the audition/interview/meeting – whatever you want to call it; it saves you grieving over what might have been because lots of times it turns out like this – never to be.
But I had a good day yesterday – I wrote 2,200 words of my new novel. The way I work is I have an idea, sometimes small and sometimes big, and then I start to write.
Whilst writing other ideas come into my head and I go from there. I have heard people say that they don't know what's going to happen next that they don't know what the characters are going to do and believe it or not this is quite true.
To me it happens like this – your character has to get from point A to point B and so you have to think of a way they get there; let's say they hitch a ride. That means we need another character who will be driving the vehicle and that character might say 'where are you going?' and the hitcher might say 'Hollywood; I want to break into the film business.'
The driver can just sit there for the rest of the ride in which case I would cut to another scene or he might say 'my sister goes to an acting class there; I'll introduce you.'
So characters just happen like that – the hitcher might fall in love with the sister or even get involved in a crime and rob a bank – who knows? The hitcher had to answer the question and the question leads somewhere. That's the way I work – other people might work other ways.
That's the way I wrote my last novel and it wasn't till I'd finished the first draft that I knew what it was about; as long as I know what the characters want.
That novel is called The Storyteller and it's for sale on Amazon.com – not .co.uk just .com. It's for sale in paperback and Kindle; not selling many paperbacks but a few on kindle.
I'm afraid that was the only place I could get it published as I couldn't get anybody to even read it but at least it's totally up to me editing wise as I don't have to answer to anybody.
Tomorrow (Friday) I'm driving along Pacific Coast Highway to a fish restaurant called Neptune's Net; it's a biker place just over the Ventura County line north of Malibu; it's a friend's birthday and a couple of us are going there for fish and chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment