Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Bit of Irish at the Edinburgh Fringe Report Aug 14th

So far we haven't had any reviewers in to see the show; there are many shows here to see and I suppose it's just pot luck. Also the audiences, maybe because of the lack of reviews, are only moderate.

So it's back to pounding the streets each day giving out fliers; that is the way to get audiences here and there are many other people from shows giving fliers out in the Royal Mile.

There are also many acts in the street which draw enormous crowds. As you walk up High Street, in the Royal Miles, you hear very loud applause, long laughter – the epitome of lol – from the crowds gathered at various pieces of street theatre.

They consist of escape artists, acrobats, jugglers and a few comedians; there was one comedian who was controlling the crowds with a whistle as if he was controlling traffic at a big intersection – I haven't seen him yet but my wife told me.

There are fire eaters, fire eaters who juggle, fire eaters who juggle, climb a ladder and balance at the top as they eat fire and juggle with the fire sticks.

Yesterday I saw a female escape artist getting out of a straight jacket.

The Royal Mile is an absolutely wonderful place to be during festival time – the atmosphere is electric and it makes the hair stand out on the back of your head.

Some days there are parades; the other day there were at least three Scottish Pipe Bands and the crowds clapped and cheered as they passed.

So I'm getting back to it - I never give up and I'll keep you informed.

1 comment:

  1. hi Chris, it sounds more like a hard slog to get people to come to see your show. My Dad once told me [when I had come last - again - in the potatoe race] that it's the taking part, rather than the winning. Load of codswollop! really we all want to win win win. But as you say, that means never giving up. Ah well back to the Captains Bar and the Jamesons!Chin up!!

    ReplyDelete