Friday, May 31, 2019

Who's training Whom?


First let me explain why I am wearing that tee shirt: I only ever sleep in boxers and when I get up I usually do my ablutions and wear an old Hawaiian shirt I have had for years and a pair of shorts till I take a shower.
I hate tee shirts, don't know how people can sleep in them as I feel I'm choking when I wear one.
This morning, before I got up, my wife put all my shirts in to the laundry which included yesterday's shirt and my Hawaiian one. So I looked in a drawer and found the above tee shirt.
Now I am going to write a little story for you and the photo is relevant.
My little office is about ten feet by ten feet. You wouldn't believe there's a hundred square feet in here but that's the way it goes. I don't use desks, I have two tables which are next to each other in an 'L' shape.
Behind me, and the camera taking the photo, is the window, and as you can see there are two screens in front of me; one is a PC and the other a lap top so I have two keyboards on a tiny table which is just above my lap.
This morning I put my camera on the tripod, set the camera and asked my wife to take the photo. I knew I had this tee shirt on, of course I did, but forgot momentarily till I looked at the shot much later and not only do I have the name of a show I did about ten years ago on the front it has it on the back too.
Here is where I sit when I do any writing, it's comfortable and last week I sat here, eating dinner and watching Chelsea play Arsenal which was free to watch on YouTube.
A couple of months ago I came in here, started to type, when I heard some tapping behind me. Tap tap tap; just like that: tap tap tap tap tap; tap tap tap tap tap.
I turned around, saw nothing then turned back to write.
After a while tap tap tap tap tap; tap tap tap tap tap .
This time when I turned I saw a tiny bird on the window ledge – well it wouldn't be a human being would it at this height.
It looked a bit like a dunnock – small bird - and it was pecking the glass. On the window ledge inside there are photographs and maybe, from outside, he or she could probably see its reflection and it kept on pecking on the window pane. When I walked over there he flew off and into the tree which is about five yards away.
After a while he came back – I think we'll call it a he. He started tapping again then he came to the right side of the window and started jumping up and down. He seemed to be stretching his neck. I wasn't sure if he could see me or himself in the reflection and was bumping himself, or heading himself or what!
Then he flew away – a few times he came back: tap tap tap – then I go to look at him and he flew off again.
Eventually we cottoned on - we bought some bird seed, put a handful out on the ledge and he ate it.
Once in a while a magpie has been there and, whilst they are not huge, they look it on our little ledge. But they don't come very often even though they are very prevalent around here. We watch them bring their young up, teaching their babies how to fly by trying to get them to jump to the top of tiny plants in the garden but the little dunnock keeps coming.
If there is no food there he will tap tap on the window then fly away. We will put food there, close the window and the blind till it's almost shut, then he comes back and eats some of the food.
My original plan was to put a computer on each table but as the PC is quite slow (it isn't wireless) I put the lap top in front and in order to be able to see the screens I had to nearly close the blinds which is why the bird came in the first place.
Here he is – that's as close as I could get. Hope you can make him out.

No comments:

Post a Comment