Sunday, May 12, 2019

The rhine in Spine!

Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady.

Hey – sorry to have been away for so long. Lots of other things on my mind recently – apart from Brexit - and that will be the last time I mention it in this post.
But it's a funny world – I looked on line yesterday and saw that a luxury hotel in Pakistan had been invaded by a couple of gun toting terrorists. I looked on TV, at the news, and the only piece of news that mentioned Pakistan was the fact that they were playing cricket against India – no mention of the gun battle.
Just how many tiny wars are going on around the world without us knowing about them, or even having heard of the country and just who is Big Pharma the mysterious conspiracy of nut cases who run the world from some cave in some desert in some place hard to pronounce.
I looked the other day at the figures for this blog and guess what? I have clocked over 200,000 page views – or hits – since I started. So you see, even though I haven't been active with new material the blog still gets red. I have often wondered how to spell the past tense of read and I think its the same, read; I put red in so you don't confuse it.

Pageviews today
79
Pageviews yesterday
40
Pageviews last month
1,155
Pageviews all time history
200,132


Sorry I can't change the font there so it remains tiny.

Here are some figures for now 2.31 pm. May 12th:

Posts

Entry
Pageviews
Oct 24, 2011, 2 comments
79
Feb 21, 2012, 4 comments
15
Jan 29, 2011, 2 comments
13
Oct 7, 2011
11
Jan 5, 2016, 2 comments
5


The above are for the week – there are also advertisements placed somewhere within the post – and not many of you are clocking in to them.
Another thing: have you noticed how the word so is used these days to start sentences. By politicians, contestants of Quiz Shows . . in fact nearly everybody.

QUIZ SHOW HOST.
What is your name and what do you do?
CONTESTANT.
So: my name is George and I'm an attorney.

Silly isn't it? It's like saying very fun – just bad! Plain bad English. It's either very funny or fun! Do you know why? Because fun is a noun, believe it or not, and very is an adverb and you can only put an adverb in front of a verb – it 's a bit like saying very table, very chair, but it still gets used, has been in America for a long time, and now it's creeping in over here.
I think they're very fun.
I know, I know I point out these little things out about the language and that you should say you and me and not you and I and I go around misusing the language as much as the next but – the people who misuse it, saying different to instead of different from are the professional broadcasters, who should know better, and we don't have Clive James to point these things out any more. Basically, in essence, you know what I mean. But you will know more when my people talk to your people!!!
So that's it for now and I won't leave it so long before the next piping hot piece of pure poetical particularization.


3 comments:

  1. Yes - I have been back in, for early readers, to correct a few typos. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the preamble “so” is infinitely better than some goon chanting “that’s right, that’s right” before going onto the answer etc. But there again anyone with their brain cells correctly aligned does not not need a preamble. Please do get me onto “um” and “er”. In military wireless telephony, saying either will get you in serious trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well I'll have to disagree with you there, my friend, as I am talking of trained speakers, Broadcasters, politicians and announcers who should know better. Um and er is fine as they are used in every day speech; it allows you to think whereas the police and the military write and speak like robots and usually use bad English because they have to stick to a format for example 'I was proceeding along the A38 at 25 MPH . . ' how would you like books written like that?
    But 'so' is bad: Rory Stewart is using it and many others - it has taken over from 'look.

    ReplyDelete