Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Stormtrack - or the election on the news?

I might have said this on here before but most Sunday mornings I go to the beach for a bike ride and have breakfast at The Fig Tree; by the way I put a little typo in there which I corrected from moist which is a kind of Freudian slip as I don't go when it's moist; when it rains.

It might be fun in the rain if you are covered up with a sow'ester and I might try it one day; not that I haven't had a lot of experience cycling in the rain with and without a sow'wester as I was brought up in a rainy climate.

Last Sunday (24th) it was kind of overcast when I left here, in Hollywood, for Venice and when I got there the sun came out so we had a good ride. The weather got worse as the day drew on and eventually at around 6:0opm it started to drizzle and then to fully fledged light rain which carried on throughout the night.

Now let me stress that this was rain; nothing more but rain. No storm, no thunder and lightning, no floods - just rain.

Later in the evening I heard on a news trailer that one of the candidates for Governor, in the gubernatorial election next week, was double digits ahead in opinion polls so I looked forward to the news on at eleven-o-clock.

I didn't think for one minute that it was Meg Whitman because Jerry Brown was drawing ahead the last time I looked; but nonetheless I don't rely on anything and after the election of Arnold Schwarzenegger I expect anything from the Californian electorate who voted for the three strikes rule, the opposition to gay marriage and other barmy things; for example the fact that when you buy a house here your property taxes on that property freezes. Nice for those that bought at that time but why is the state always in the red or have a delayed budget every year?

Apart from the election, in the news, there is the threat of terrorism, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the economy, the latest on the world series baseball; I think a golf tournament sudden-death play off was decided with a 'hole in one,' Gregory Isaacs the reggae singer died and even the creator of Rocky and Bullwinkle had died and what led the news on all channels? The rain!!

No storm, no thunder and lightning, no floods - just rain; plain simple rain.

The News Team was at various locations throughout the state. People were being interviewed in the street to give their opinion about the rain – do they like it? Do they hate it?

Some complained that they didn't like the rain, others loved it; some were here on vacation and said they were used to it but complained about it.

I have told friends and relations when they asked about the weather how the Television Stations cover it and they hardly believed me.

Some way into the news they came in from the field reports and went to – the weather forecast which was headlined 'Storm-track and how it will affect your morning commute.'

It was then that I put the news off and looked on line to see which candidate for Governor was double digits ahead and it was Jerry Brown – fabulous! Thirteen points ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment