Saturday, October 2, 2010

Albert Hall, The Albert Hall, The Royal Albert Hall!!

My friends admonish me for being so pedantic about the differences in English between the United States and the British Isles. I say the British Isles although there are a few things in Ireland which has the same usage as in America; for example the use of the words take and bring.

The correct use of these words in Britain is to take to and bring from; just like in stock keeping and accounting when you put 'carried' forward at the bottom of the column and 'brought' forward at the beginning of a new page; it's 'shall we take our shovels' and 'shall we bring them back.'

In Ireland and the USA they say 'shall we bring our shovels?'

Of course that's if you have a shovel!

I have touched on the usage of English elsewhere on this blog and as with everything else I am no expert; I just have an interest in linguistics and I am a fan on Geoffrey Nunberg who regularly contributes to NPR's Fresh Air programmes; he hits the nail right on the head when he writes and commentates on how the English language is changing even without us noticing it; look him up on Amazon.

It fascinates me how the two countries (separated by a common language, according to Shaw) differ over the use of the definite article. For example the Americans say 'the' hospital – as if there is only one. I have been living here for over fifteen years so I say it too now. Although when I am writing for an English character I have to check myself.

In Britain they just say hospital – as in 'she is in hospital.' In America it is 'she is in the hospital.'

If that was all that was to it that would be the end of it but we all say 'I am going to the movies' 'to the theatre' ' to the game' or 'the match' as if there is only one of those.

But what happens when we talk of The Albert Hall?

The Americans with all their use of the definite article drop it when it comes to The Albert Hall and there is only one Albert Hall.

A friend of mine sent an e-mail the other day and said 'Stephen Fry is at Albert Hall' and I wrote and pointed out his error. Then when I met him later he said 'what is this about Albert Halls?' – in the plural.

There is no answer to it of course but this is Albert Hall:


And this is The Albert Hall:
Albert Hall, the actor, was in Apocalypse Now but as far as he is concerned he is The Albert Hall and the other one is really called The Royal Albert Hall; but nobody calls it that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment