Friday, July 22, 2016

Eddie Ready? nearly.

I'm having a really good time with my play – you know what it is – all together: The 2 Sides of Eddie Ramone.
My daughter is played by Shian Denovan and there we are above having the read through – or pretending to have the read through.
There are not many seats booked in advance but you never know – people may walk in.
Whatever happens I have to use the old phrase 'the play's the thing.'
It's a very strange genre of theatre to market. I have loads of those kinds of contacts both with audience and critics. It's not the usual type of critic it's the bloggers we are after. They review the play on the way home, it goes on line and that's where your potential audience is as that's the way the play gets spread by Twitter and Twitter is the main means of communication in the theatre.
I looked at a lot of the 'off west-end' twitter pages and noticed which reviewers were getting re-tweeted and contacted those critics and I have a few coming on the opening night – so we'll see.
But as I say, when I said the play's the thing, that that is the most important thing about it. When you rehearse you learn a lot about the play and it's the most exciting part of the creative process. As I wrote this play I didn't think I would learn much – but I did; a helluva lot. (and that's a word, would you believe – helluva).
You'd be surprised what little nuggets you find in the text – but I wrote it, I hear you say, but it's true.
Shian is a brilliant actress and I knew straight away when I met how good she potentially was and she has proved it. She found little nuggets there, asked the right kind of questions and generally helped towards the production.
She even brought in two jam doughnuts for me today – and this poor old computer can't spell doughnuts.
I, on the other hand, have gone my usual way of learning things at the last minute; it's just the way I work, I suppose, and a pain in the arse when I'm working with other people but this is like two, one person plays. Or a one-man-show and a one-woman-show as we hardly meet on stage at all. And the only time we do our eyes never meet.
So tomorrow I finish of my study of the role, put some music cues on to a memory stick, mark the script for sound and lighting cues for the tech on Sunday (tech is the technical rehearsal) when we will also decide on Shian's costume etc.
We have to go from cue to cue making sure we are in our light so the audience can see us.
By the way – I did raise some money through crowdfunding but wouldn't recommend it to anybody. I think you've really got to be obnoxious or at least persistent – it's a bit like American hard sell – a bit like Trump as he raises billions and, as we have arrived at the door of politics, is the most dangerous individual in the world.
Come and see the play if you're in town it's called . . . . . .

5 comments:

  1. Hi Chris just grrrring to myself as I posted a comment about 30 mins ago and it has disappeared into the ether! Will write another post after making sure this is posted Grrrrrrr lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good blog Chris about what promises to be a fabulous play. Hope it all goes well and you have fun. See you there! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris, lovely blog about the stress and strains of getting a play ready for the public. To an outsider I am amazed at the complexity of arrangements needed. And that is just the play, not to mention the myriad of other distractions you have had to put up with. Here's wishing You and Shian all the Very Best of Luck for The Two Sides of Eddie Ramone over the coming week

    ReplyDelete