Monday, January 13, 2014

The Golden Globes.

2 of the funniest people on earth.
 
Do I ever miss Los Angeles? All the glitz and glamour of Hollywood, the weather, palm trees, Schwarzenegger cycling along the beach – me cycling along the beach? Me waving at Schwarzenegger – Schwarzenegger giving me the finger!!! No he would always wave back and sometimes he would wave first but do I miss all that? Well I would be a liar if I said I didn't. I know some people don't like sunshine for 12 months a year but we did have seasons of a sort; very hot, hot and not so hot! And I loved it, never missed Britain at all – just the family.
When you visit LA, you might cycle along the beach and think it great but we did it nearly every week. Now all that has gone and I am back in cultured London with the cultured theatre – the last show I saw was Barry Humphries as Dame Edna Everage; now what could be more cultured than that – he/she is a phenomenon – a legend – but what I really miss about Hollywood are the award ceremonies.
Yesterday it was The Golden Globes; now The Golden Globes are nothing really, they are nominated and chosen by such a small group of journalists that they can't mean much. These journalists are the Hollywood Foreign Press; journalists from newspapers and other journals from the rest of the world. The reason it is well attended by movies stars and the like is that it is a huge fantastic party; what they would call over here a big piss up. And even though they don't mean that much I miss them and when the academy awards are announced this week I will miss those too.
I will miss the arguments and discussions with people who don't agree with me and I will know that they don't mean anything either; just fun.
There is no way you can say what the best film is or the best actor or actress (actrice); the difference between the two ceremonies is that the Academy nominations will be more realistic.
So I miss all that; the crowds of people in Rock 'n' Roll Ralphs (the supermarket) buying pizza and beer for their parties on award days, the endless TV shows – the pre award show, the post award show, the after party, the Mayor's party, the Governor's Ball, the Elton John party and all the glamour – watching all the glitz and the jewellery from the comfort of our modest apartment and throwing cushions at the TV screen when Day-Lewis gets it again!!!!
But we are back here and things are swinging along with me and my sandwich.
I love the joke the director told at the ceremony yesterday – the director of Gravity said he thanks Sandra Bullock who didn't walk (float?) off the set when he offered to give her herpes; the poor fella is from Mexico and his accent made it sound like that when he was really offering her an ear piece.
Here are some photos – I wonder what the poor people are doing?











3 comments: