Thursday, January 30, 2014

SoundZ


Wow it's been a week or two since I wrote anything on here; I've been busy making a film – that one above. Now don't get too excited out there as it's only a short one – although it gets longer by the day like Pinocchio's nose each time I work on it – but the idea is to get the movie in to the Edinburgh Film Festival in June which means it has to be ready for February 28.
I am getting on well with it especially as the object of the exercise is to do everything myself and make it for less than – well, what can I say? Less than £100 which is about $150; okay let's say less than $100 – although I might be pushing it at that as I'll have to buy blank DVDs.
I'm writing, editing and shooting as I go along. I've done a lot of the sound editing and music and the only thing I am having a bit of trouble with is rendering on to HD!!! In English that is saving the film in High Definition. My computer keeps telling me that it's running out of memory even though I did bigger projects with my music videos before Christmas.
So if anybody out there has any ideas?
You know where to find me.
Here is a still from the film, by the way:

 
which looks more like the reaction I had to the first listening of my love song for Valentine's Day, I Love You. (still on YouTube).
The other thing I have to do is to not make it look like a vanity project but I suppose that is what it is; the same with the one man shows I have done in the past. One was the Irish show and the other my one man play.
The Irish show I did from the year 2000 to 2010 in Los Angeles; not all the time, you understand, just on St Patrick's Day, a few colleges and the Irish Fair at Santa Anita Racetrack; I would say it was very successful as it played to full houses but it didn't really work in London – there we are.
When the time came to do any of these shows I would get on with it but in the hiatus, if I thought of them at all, I would wonder at the gall I had to actually get up and do them; I'm not thinking of that now I am working at getting the film completed – tomorrow I have to learn more lines.
Now you may wonder how I can do a one man film – or a one person film to be boringly politically correct – without making it look barmy or even talking to the camera but there are loads of devices and techniques that have been used in movies over the years and I'm using some of those.
There is a trailer which was on You Tube for a couple of days but I've taken it down as the film itself has not to be on the Internet before the festival – if you missed it sorry!!
So wish me luck and if you have a solution to my little problem of rendering let me know.
Oh and here is another still from the film where I am looking a bit more intelligent.




3 comments:

  1. Hi Chris, Sorry I can't help with your technical problems about HD, I have problems switching on the wot-u-ma-call-it so I can send this - um - message. But I jest in the hope of lifting your spirits. Best wishes for the scheme and hope you achieve the schedule. Look forward to hearing of progress towards the finished article

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what you're working on, I use FCP 7 and for Youtube you can make the file smaller quite easily, HD takes up a lot of space and you might be running out of it, seems like that's the big problem. How much space do you have left on hard drive? External or internal? Can you buy another hard drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well ladies and gents, it looks like my old mate, Jim, is right for a change. I need room so I will be putting the film on a new hard drive - a rugged. If I finish in time I'm hoping the film will go in to the short (narrative section) of The Edinburgh Film Festival and the Los Angeles Film Festival; wish me luck. Only kidding, Jimbo.

      Delete