Thursday, February 28, 2013

Misogynistic Academy Awards?

                                        Stephen Fry
          Seth MacFarlane

Thank you for the emails about the Oscars; I always get the same complaint about not being able to put a comment on the site and I am, as usual, at a loss for the answer. I can put a comment on my mate Jim's blog easily enough, and when they ask me who I am, or I have to sign in, I put my Gmail email address and it seems to work.
Well I got a few right didn't I? I put Joaquin Phoenix down for best actor as it was the one performance that I found hard to picture myself doing but I think the hardest one of the bunch would be by Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook; believe me, and actors may or may not back me up, it's harder to be Tom Cruise or George Clooney than any of the character actors.
Lots of critics over the years have said that Cary Grant was the greatest screen actor because he made it look so easy and I know what they mean. I really like Sean Penn but he failed miserably in The Interpretor and The Game. I also like Gary Oldman but he has to be different in each role.
A word about Daniel Day Lewis; when he does the things he has to do which enable him to give the performances he gives (with me so far?) the things he has done (before he even starts work) should be seen on the screen.
In other words when Robert de Niro put all the weight on to play Jake La Motta we could see what he had done – the same when someone learns to box (Day-Lewis did this so did de Niro), dance or even play tennis. But to spend months talking like Lincoln, being carried to the set and being spoon fed by the crew in My Left Foot, I don't see the need; what did Olivier say? Try acting! Who knows whether he said that or not? But there again, as I've said before, it could be professional jealousy on my part; but what I wouldn't like to see is a young actor starting out thinking all those things need to be done.
I don't suppose they stood for it when he was in Gandhi or The Bounty.
Anyway back to the Oscars – The Academy Awards: It doesn't mean anything. As I said before, the best actor is your particular favourite. If you don't like Daniel Day-Lewis it won't matter how many Oscars he wins you won't like him.
But the difference between the Academy Awards here in the UK (the B.A.F.T.A.s or as they have started calling them the Baftas) and the ones in Los Angeles (the Oscars) is a matter of taste.
The BAFTAs show was a lot funnier than the bits I saw of the Oscars; the difference was more literal. Stephen Fry is funnier and cleverer than the fella in Los Angeles. A lot of people don't like either of them: Fry because he's too clever and the other guy because he's . . . I don't know; why don't they like him? Not clever enough? Not funny enough? Bit of a slob?
Some people do like him but what does that say about them?
Stephen Fry is more like a modern day Oscar Wilde – nobody liked him either; well not many people. Professional jealousy again; just like me!
The BAFTAs were, at least, in good taste as opposed to the misogynistic bits that I saw in Los Angeles; We Saw Your Boobs wasn't anything whether the actresses went along with it or not but it was boring! And all the lip-syncing again!
It's not supposed to be taken seriously - it's a party; parties can't be boring!
I only hope they don't do another movie about Ted Bundy and offer the role to Daniel Day-Lewis!!

4 comments:

  1. Watched Bafta awards, seems like it was a tribute to Hollywood so much that they had to have a category for poor Brit movies only. Didn't think Fry was all that good, for that matter same for Seth. Maybe the Brit humor was lost on me. But Lynch also didn't like Fry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynch may have the accent but he's not a product of England so he doesn't really count. Fry is the zeitgeist of Britain in that he doesn't really appeal to the 'old guard' - more avante! But the movies are the same; the money comes from the same place and Skyfall won the best British film and maybe it should at least have been nominated over ever. Give my best to Los Angles and hope to be there in April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (SHOULD HAVE CHECKED IT!!)
      Lynch may have the accent but he's not a product of England so he doesn't really count. Fry is the zeitgeist of Britain in that he doesn't really appeal to the 'old guard' - more avante! But the movies are the same; the money comes from the same place and Skyfall won the best British film and maybe it should at least have been nominated over THERE. Give my best to Los Angles and hope to be there in April.

      Delete
  3. Dear Chris,
    I have found your blog, which I really like it. I enjoyed to read your posts.
    I was wondering if you would be interested in sharing your posts and ideas on Glipho? It's a quite new social publishing platform, where you can connect to every social network accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc). Really easy to use it and communicate with your followers. In additional, you are able to import your posts too.
    Please, have a look and take a tour to know more about Glipho.
    If you would like to set up your account, please do not hesitate to ask me for further information.
    We are always delighted to get any feedback about the things which do or don’t work for you.
    I hope you will join to Glipho community soon.
    All the best,
    Monika

    ReplyDelete