Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving.

Being back in Britain I often think back to the time I first went to America – that was in August 1994 and I settled there in January 1995; I think of how it was here, in the UK, at that time, and wonder how it has changed.

The first thing I notice is the number of reality shows there are on TV; one of the most popular shows here is Strictly Come Dancing or just Strictly as they call it, the people in the know. It is the same show and produced by the same people, the BBC, as Dancing With the Stars in the USA. On both continents it is a huge hit and plenty of money for the BBC.

Another show which goes out at the same peak time slot on a Saturday evening is The X Factor; both of these shows are called reality shows but to my mind they are both entertainment shows; the dancing one is a programme of stars the X Factor is a talent show for singers; I haven't seen Strictly (obviously I'm in the know) but I've seen some of X Factor.

The rest of the reality shows are cooking programmes; some are competitions to see who is the best cook and some are instructional shows. I saw one where a rather large county woman was advocating the use of English garlic. She said garlic started here and that English garlic is the best with the best taste.

I haven't tried it but she did some blind tests with quite a few people of various nationalities and they all liked the English garlic; must get some.

The first thing I found when going to America was their opinion of English food; it was a bit like the French, when they talk of America, when they say 'what about that food?' and not in a kindly way.

The fact is there must be dozens of cooking shows on here, as there are in America, and the standard of cooking is very high. There seem to be more foodies here than in America and more per ca pita really good restaurants.

In America everything has to be covered in a sauce – ketchup or mustard – and they call the liquid you have with your Thanksgiving Turkey gravy; and not sauce. Calling the sauce, a chef makes, gravy is an insult.

Sometimes if you go into a chain restaurant with a carvery they use the same liquid for all the meats – that's gravy!

So happy thanksgiving to all my American friends; this will be the first one I have missed in all those years. It was my favourite holiday there (turkey day) and what I liked about it was it was none religious and all sorts got together – Jews, Muslims, Christians and even Heathens; of course heathen is a Christian term I mean atheists but also agnostics – the people who won't commit to anything; just in case!

By the way (or btw to show I'm really in the know) Saturday night TV in Britain is peak time but the worst night in America; Dancing With the Stars goes out on a Monday and Tuesday as opposed to Saturday and Sunday here.

4 comments:

  1. As you know, I'm Canadian and our thanksgiving was 2nd Monday of October, not Nov 24 like here in the U.S. Needless to say, I celebrate both, thus ensuring more GRAVY!!!

    I didn't know why Canada was in October and then was told it was because the harvest season ends sooner in Canada, being that it is further north and winter comes sooner.

    Pretty good, eh?

    Will say hi to the boys fer ya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every country should have a Thanksgiving Day to celebrate with friends and family, as we do at Christmas. We all have a lot to be thankful for; just waking up each morning and taking our first breath is such a privilege and should never be taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree; turkeys are very expensive in the USA at Christmas so we would buy ours at Thanksgiving, when they are cheap, and freeze them for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete