Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Movember - moustaches galore!!

The Movember Campaign.

This is the time of year when you see an extraordinary amount of men sporting moustaches – that's if their wives allow them. Some wives don't like that rough chin around their bodies and order shaves as if they were the Greek women of Lysistrata.

But it's all in a good cause – I think even Stephen Fry is sporting one.

I have sponsored my brother who has promised to send me a photo – even if it is only a 'ronnie' – of the result and the money goes towards prostate cancer research.

This campaign has lasted for quite a few Novembers making it Movember. I had noticed the sudden growing of maustaches before but just found out the other day what it was all about – when my brother asked for sponsorship.

It got me thinking about moustaches in general.

Believe it or not, people in the straight world, moustaches a very popular and even fashionable amongst gay men.

I remember when Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was released in the late 60s moustaches becoming popular.

Paul Newman (left) and Robert Redford.


Then Wimbledon champion of 1969/70, John Newcombe had a Sundance moustache,

John Newcombe


as the commentators called it, but then it went gay.

Tom Selleck

I'm not saying Tom Selleck is gay but look at that growth!!

I don't know why the gay popularity and I did ask once – I once lived in West Hollywood remember? - and was told that it made them look manly; well I have to beg to differ. It made a lot of straight men look gay – not all moustaches just the dodgy ones. Remember The Village People with their beards AND moustaches? (above).

But I remember the moustaches on the old movie stars; a word I mentioned before, a ronnie, came from the movie star Ronald Coleman.

Ronald Coleman

Nothing gay about that one and nothing gay about the ones worn by Errol Flynn or Clarke Gable.

Errol Flynn


Clark Gable

I'm just musing away here not wishing to be offensive about anybody and trying to keep calm as Meryl Streep, in all her ignorance, has taken on the role of Margaret Thatcher in a movie called The Iron Lady, which is due for release at the end of the year, in the USA, to qualify for an Oscar – oh woe is me; why don't they make a movie about that nice Mr Hitler?

Streep, as I say in her ignorance, has probably ignored advice not to play Thatcher and has an idiotic Dennis Thatcher in it too; he was a clown and is played by a clown. The only person on this page who should wear a moustache is Meryl Streep – nuff said.

Best of luck, Movember, and if you know anybody growing one for prostate cancer research do your best for them or click on to the site in your country - here are links for the UK one and the USA one too.

http://uk.movember.com/ & http://us.movember.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment