Thursday, December 2, 2010

Qatar?? Cutter Katarrr!!!


It seems Russia have won the rights to stage the World Cup in 2018 (I should live so long) and Qatar in 2022 – although the Americans pronounce it as Cutter!! It's Katarrr – my brother, who lived there for a few years, just told me.

The programme I was listening to on the radio went to their correspondent in Moscow to ask if people were celebrating in the streets and was told it was zero degrees there and people were indoors; just as they are in the UK.

I hear the whole of the UK and Ireland has been hit by many inches of snow and people there are freezing too so I want to put word in for the poor people of California who are cold.

Yes you wouldn't believe it would you? Here in Los Angeles people are huddled around their tiny heaters as the temperature has been down to the lower fifties and forties; in the day time it has been up to the seventies but at night time it's cold.

How cold is it in Europe? About thirty degrees but I have to repeat – it's been cold here and the big problem here is that we hardly have any heating. It's great in the bathroom with the heater in there but what about the rest of the flat?

I have noticed some people have actually had to start wearing socks here; I saw someone yesterday with some on. It was a bit awkward for him to walk as his flip flops were the ones that go through the toes and they kept coming off; every time they did this he would stumble and once or twice he spilled some of his latte down his shorts.

It's supposed to rain on Sunday and we are getting ready for that – I think it's due some time in the afternoon and maybe up to a quarter of an inch. I think some people are cancelling their picnic plans.

At the moment the sun is out and there isn't a cloud in the sky but I don't let that fool me.

I saw the photos of the conquest of Everest and the sun was out there too – but look how cold it was! So before I go out I will put some suitable clothing on; I think I have a jacket somewhere and maybe some long trousers; I'm not sure but I will brave the weather later on – don't worry about me I'm quite hardy.

2 comments:

  1. As a note, as you rightly say Qatar is pronounced 'catarrh' as in the inconvenient nose stuff one can accumulate in the ENT department. And for temperature, parts of Scotland today were at -22C which in American speak is MINUS -7 F. Feeling warmer now you and your lower fifties? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just to enlarge upon Bec's comments. In American "speak" -7f is equal to 39 degrees [f] of frost, brass monkey weather indeed!

    ReplyDelete