Friday, December 24, 2010

Happy Christmas.

Not a full post today just Happy Christmas and here is the lyric to my favourite Christmas song Fairytale of New York – not to be confused with the JP Donleavy classic novel A Fairy Tale of New York.
This is by Shane MacGowan of The Pogues and the words were slightly altered here to the ones by Christy Moore in his version – which I prefer.
I love the lyrics to this and it reads just as well without the music. To me the imagery is magic.
Fairytale of New York
It was Christmas eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said son: I won't see another one
And then he sang a song
The Rare old Mountain Dew
I turned my eyes away and thought about you
Got on a lucky one
Came in eighteen to one
I've got a feeling
This year's for me and you
So Happy Christmas
I love you baby
There's gonna be good times
When all our dreams come true.

They got cars big as bars
They got rivers of gold
But the wind goes right through you
It's no place for the old
When I first took your hand on that cold Christmas eve
Hope I told you that Broadway was waiting for me
You were handsome and pretty
Queen of New york city when the band finished playing the crowd howled for more
Sinatra was singing all the crowd they were swinging
Oh we kissed on a corner
Then danced round the floor.

And the boys from the NYPD Choir were singing Galway Bay
And the bells were ringing out for Christmas day.
I could have been someone
Well so could anyone
I took my dreams from me
When I first met you
I kept them with me babe
I put them with my own
Can't make it all alone
I've built my dreams around you
You're a bum you´re a punk
You're an old whore on junk
Lying there on the drip nearly dead in the bed
You scumbag you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy Christmas my arse – oh I'd rather be dead.

And the boys from the NYPD Choir were singing Galway Bay
And the bells were ringing out for Christmas day.

And the boys from the New York Police Choir were singing Galway Bay
And the bells were ringing out for Christmas day.
Happy Christmas - Chris x x

No comments:

Post a Comment