Thursday, October 15, 2009

Up Up and Away in Colorado with Balloon Boy!!

I've written before of how I love living where I do; Hollywood. I don't know anywhere else in the state where I would rather live apart from the Hollywood Hills, which I can see through my window from where I type this; it would even be possible to live here without a car as I can go climbing when I want, walk to Rock 'n' Roll Ralphs and to any other service or store.

When I lived miles away from anywhere during the seventies in England it was almost a 'day trip' to take my clothes to the dry cleaners; here, it is fifteen minutes walk and I am just a couple of minutes walk away from the canyon and nature.

Lately we have had some very hot weather with temperatures in the eighties but yesterday it dropped dramatically to the sixties – a summer's day in Canada or Britain – and rained all day.
I walked down to Fresh and Easy on Hollywood Boulevard and it was like walking the streets of Kilburn; but today the weather is fine again: the sun is shining and the temperature is eighty degrees at the moment; what a place to live.

Throughout the day the whole country has been glued to their television sets because a young boy of six had apparently crawled into his father's helium balloon – just before it took off.

In no time the balloon was up in the sky heading towards the moon, for all I know, with no way of communicating with anybody on Terra Firma. The silver balloon, apparently made by the boy's father, reportedly reached heights of 7,000ft in no time; it travelled at around thirty miles an hour headed towards Denver Airport air space and was filmed from a helicopter from an ideal position and this is why we could all see it on our screens. I heard it first on the 12.00 news on the radio (NPR) and, like most people, put the TV on to CNN.

I can't tell you how terrifying the pictures were no matter how spectacular they looked. There was a little boy inside that, relatively, small balloon probably scared to death, crying for his mother and screaming; the balloon was reported to be around twenty feet by five feet and on the screen thirty miles an hour looks really fast.

One report came in to say that a sibling saw the boy fall from the balloon shortly after take off but this wasn't confirmed. Of course every expert then came on TV (where do they find them?) to tell us what they thought was happening; it reminded me of a scene from the comedy movie 'Airplane!' and the various experts gave us their million and one conjectures, hypothesise and forecasts and one of them even said that he thought there was no pay load on board because of the way the balloon was behaving.

When I looked at the TV again the balloon was flying low and was definitely headed towards a landing and, when it got really close, a load of sheriffs surrounded it and started to pat it; it was at this point that I wondered why they didn't just hold it and hold it hard to stop it taking off again!

But they didn't they just patted it! Then one of the sheriffs actually grabbed hold of the downed airship and threw a rope over it; the deputy on the other side of the balloon took a shovel and started to bury that part of it and others started to poke holes to let the helium out; I think the penny dropped in my mind that there was no boy aboard at this point.

Later when I was at lunch in American Burger on Sunset Boulevard it was reported on their TV that a basket had been seen to fall from the balloon shortly after it took off. Questions were asked as to whether the National Guard in Colorado had night sights so they could see where the boy landed if the basket had, in fact, been detached from the balloon. The National Guard were called out to follow the route of the flight to see if they could see where the little fella had landed – either in or out of the basket.

The mind boggled as to what was going on; this was a media circus and I was partaking in it by following it.

I had to leave American Burger to go to the bank and then when I came home I put the TV on only to see President Obama addressing people in New Orleans; in some way it was all over so I returned to where I had started a few hours earlier – KCRW.

The bottom line is the boy was hiding in a box in the attic all the time; the news was greeted with relief by the sheriffs who, I am told, tried hard not to giggle when they gave the good news; but we know what really happened - don't we?

The boy got into the balloon and was taken on a journey to a far away land up in the sky; up there where we couldn't see him he met his friends the giant panda, the giant mouse and the tiny elephant called Ephelump. The three friends took him on a great adventure in the sky where he visited a little village and ate all his favourite food, drank all the fizzy drinks his parents wouldn't let him drink and was returned to the attic just before the balloon landed in that Colorado Sheriff filled field.

His name was Falcon by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment