Friday, August 28, 2020

height!



This is a funny old post, I'm warning you. I am probably thinking out loud, and writing as I speak – to paraphrase John Lennon.
I was speaking to someone yesterday about dying hair red – my daughter, in fact, and I mentioned that I played Richard I in a play some years ago and the director wanted me to dye my hair red. 
When I went to the hairdresser – my hair was black – they said said it would be too difficult and it would ruin my hair. I don't know how you can ruin someone's hair but they said they would have to bleach my hair before applying the dye. 
So I had to wear a bloody tight fitting red wig for the four or five weeks. They wanted me to grow a beard too and so I had to apply make up every night – all that to get me to Richard I.
Richard I was five feet eight inches – which was tall for those days (doze daze) and it got me thinking because that is roughly my size. Very slightly bigger – or higher – than my dad and my son and my brothers (bruds). 
If that was tall for then what will the average height be in another eight hundred years? We can see the consequences of the increase in height every time we go into an old building when people even as tiny as me hit their heads on the ceilings and doorways. I mean can you imagine someone hitting their head on a seven foot ceiling? Someone at the average height?
But I have seen people very tall at the gym in the shower. I don't take long looks at them – by the way I don't go any more – but I know that their genitals are not necessarily bigger than anybody else's and can presume it's the same with really great big tall women – when I say presume there, am I telling more about myself than I want to?
Now here is the question – if we, homo-sapiens, are getting bigger and babies are getting bigger with their bigger heads and the average size of genitals are not growing in proportion with height are we in danger of seeing the end of natural births? The end of natural births will mean less births, I should think, with more caesarians and more birth deaths of mothers.
Makes you think, doesn't it. Or maybe it doesn't.
It's a strange thing height. I would never, and I have never, wanted to be any other height. I mean can you imagine meeting, shall we say, George Clooney and finding him over six feet? He must be about five ten, or so, but if he was four feet ten or I was suddenly over six feet it wouldn't suit it's like . . . . .
. . . . well what is it like?
There is fella on TV here in a show called Pointless, which is the British equivalent to Jeopardy but not as good – I like it but not as much as the former which I used to record if I was out – the fella is near seven feet on Pointless. Like the late lamented Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan; they are not welcome in theatre, cinemas or concerts. I have been sitting in a theatre, as it is filling up, seeing my wonderful view change into the view from hell when Gulliver takes his seat. He can't help it and neither can his Amazonian wife. 
In every day life it doesn't matter as we get used to it, I have had and still have very tall friends but when I talk to someone, some kid, who doesn't seem to be growing fast enough and who is, obviously, going to be short and they are depressed about it I say there are certain things that tall people can't do like get under the door when you've locked yourself in the lavatory, maybe get into a racing car, unless it's made for you, a space ship, be a jockey or even make a comfortable parachute jump.
'But, I don't want to be a jockey, I want to play basket ball.'
Well there's no answer to that!

5 comments:

  1. Good story, Chris - I enjoy the ones I can relate to, like this one. I’ve always been a bit vertically challenged, as they say. I used to be almost 5’4” when I was young but over the years I’ve lost height and an now nearer 5’1”. At this rate, I’ll end up a midget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Chris - been a while buddy - good to see you are still 'AT IT'👍 Well the 'long and short' of your 'tail' is interesting sir... I guess if all genitalia increases/decreases with the oncoming millennia both make n female then the only question we must presume now is... "if the 'glove" fits grab the tits" - I think that was what Mr. Cockran phrased...🤔

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - Melrose shut down for 5 months and reopened 3 weeks ago! Double the size, spacing of booths. Lost ALL its vibe/heart/soul!😥 I'm not going back until such time (?) the $$ potential /vibe returns - IF it ever does... How u doing in all this??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why have you never told me you played Richard I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when I was in LA I played Richard III - but it was a workshop production and when Lady Ann spit in my face I wiped it off and put my finger in my mouth!!

      Delete