Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Brexit - and the lost votes!



I never ever thought I would write a post with Brexit in the title, but here we go with a quickie.
There is a lot of confusion in Parliament at the moment – poor old Donald Trump who has no idea about politics (or anything else) thinks the country is in turmoil; he obviously hasn't been to Zimbabwe and didn't notice anything wrong with human rights when he went to Saudi Arabia; there he is, above: I captured him after he said maybe for the twentieth time the phrase million dollars. That's what's wrong with having a business man running a country – he only talks in dollars.
I said recently, in a very important missive on facebook, that I believe, all the money being used at the moment to pay for the UK to leave the European Union is a waste, if you believe that the majority of the older voters voted to leave.
In ten years a lot of those voters will have shuffled off this mortal coil which will leave a majority, left behind, who voted for remain. 
But it could have been a remain victory if the 40% of the 18-25s, who didn't bother to register had have voted for remain. 
They may, of the youngsters who actually voted, have voted to remain but what of the lost votes?
There is a movement to lower the voting age to 16 or 17 – do I go along with that? No.
I'm sorry but the reason why you see so many gas heads speeding along at 100 mph in built up areas is because of their age. I didn't quite go at 100 when I worked on the motor bikes at that age because my bike didn't go that fast. But I remember how hot headed I might have been. I remember having a race, in the rush hour, through the traffic in Selly Oak opening our throttles and weaving in and out of the traffic. The reason I remember that particular day is that I overtook a truck on the inside and my pal overtook it on the outside lane. Trouble was the truck was turning right and knocked my buddy off his bike. As I got passed the truck I looked around and there he was flying, then landing, and as he landed he slid, spinning around, for about 25 feet. What the who the what do you do now??**^
He seemed okay – he was moving – and in no time the whole place was stinking with cops, an ambulance and crowds. I headed back to the office to report the accident and as I was going back, a man came in to the yard and said 'one of your boys has just had a prang!'
They knew as I had told them. I was told to get on and deliver my telegrams and another boy was told to go and collect the telegrams from the injured lad who was lying on the road – sorry, yes, I prefer lying to laying!
That's really why kids shouldn't have the vote. The brain is not fully formed till nearly 20; schizophrenia doesn't present itself or is diagnosed till at least 19 and later in women; I have given the case for hot hotheadedness etc but I don't think I want the very young voting as they are either clever clogs (like Jacob Rees-Mogg was) or not interested in politics at all. I wasn't interested then and why should I be I was sewing my wild oats, going out dancing, going to the movies, going to the cafe that served bacon and eggs at 3.00 o-clock in the morning and eating fleur-de-lis steak and kidney pies from a chuck wagon on John Bright Street in Birmingham with a load of motor bike kids, Hell's Angels and tattooed tearaways; and why not.
Writing that kind of reminds me that a friend of mine was filming an episode of Star Trek at Paramount and had a heart attack. They took him to The Good Samaritans Hospital and of course he was admitted. The production company sent in a runner to collect his costume and bits of face mask he was wearing – no 'how is he' kiss my arse or nothing; but that's show business!!
I don't know how many wars were in Europe up to the point of the forming of the European Union but not so many since its formation. It was started in 1951 as The Treaty of Paris then it became The Treaty of Rome in 1957. We knew it as The Common Market -in fact that's what I call it to this day – and because it looked like a good idea and seemed to work, other countries joined: the United Kingdom didn't. They tried but France, through General de Gaulle, vetoed their application.
The next application was by Prime Minister Edward Heath of the Conservative Government which was accepted and Britain joined around 1970.
The Labour Party were in administration in 1974 and as soon as they could organise it they had a referendum in 1975 to see it they should remain or leave; Labour campaigned to leave and the Conservatives campaigned to stay.
What a change aye.
One of the recent referendum catch phrases from the right wing – which seemed to be in the leave majority - was that they wanted to 'take back control.'
As soon as they started that it was all over; just like a lot of America catch phrases, usually from the Republicans, which as soon as they were invented or discovered were successful. Remember George W with his fuzzy math and Obama with Yes we can which turned out to be no we can't because Congress just wouldn't let him – so don't think they can't stop Trump.
Yes they can – but they won't.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Chris this is a fairly wide ranging blog, starting from a date some readers may not know. There were lots of pros and cons for joining the Common Market. But basically by the late 1960s/early 70s, the UK economy as a whole meant we needed support from somewhere. Perversely de Gaulle’s opposition seemed to make the CM more attractive. The 2nd referendum of Wilson’s Govt. confirmed that the country as a whole, wanting in rather than out. Despite some misgivings on Agriculture and Fishery Policy. I think the attitude then was the understanding that rules can’t be challenged if you are not a member. A view I have always held, but for some reason the UK became known as the Bovver Boy of Europe. Perhaps the shift from a Common Market towards Federalism did not help. I still hold the view we are better in than out. If in we should adopt the attitude of other countries and ignore, or adjust rules to suit themselves. But on the other side of the argument about leaving, I can’t understand the one sided argument about us being hit by higher tariffs, whereas the remaining 27 countries sail blithely on exporting to the UK with no apparent challenge to their status quo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for that, David; there was only one referendum (a plebiscite) which was after the second general election of the year.

      Delete
    2. Unknown? That was me, Chris.

      Delete