Friday, November 24, 2017

1984, Bobby Fuller and the cell phone.

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. There are two kinds of people who will look at that: one kind will look and say that doesn't make sense. - that is one stock answer when people don't get things straight away - and the other reaction would recognise it as the opening passage to the novel 1984 by George Orwell.
But when you think of that novel there are so many things that happen these days which some people think have only just started. Pop and rock fans, like me, are used to it when someone plays their favourite song by The Clash I fought the Law – well it's by Bobby Fuller; here treat yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgtQj8O92eI
That was a question on a quiz show last week – “who sang Who Fought the Law?” and the answer turned out to be The Clash. That's all right, I don't really mind, they can't help being so young, they can't help thinking it is the best part of their lives but . . . .
But getting back to George Orwell – there's a room in 1984, Room 101 which is a basement torture chamber where you face your own worse nightmares; I met someone recently who thought it was originated in the show of the same name which is on BBC TV.
There are lots of things in 1984Big Brother (Big Brother is Watching You) – and when the year 1984 came along George Orwell wasn't that far wrong.
The fact is the book was published in 1948 and Orwell just changed the last two digits around for the title.
I always thought there was something in it about giving information – personal information - to the state willingly, but even though the book implies that, I can't remember the passage. But I do remember, in the year 1984, James Burke was asked what life will be like in another thirty seven years – the same passage of time from when 1984 was written and the actual date - and he said we, and maybe starting with the young, will feely volunteer all of our personal details and information to the state so they would know all about us and know where we are all the time.
In other words, as in 1984 'Big Brother is Watching You.'
He was a bit early as things are like that now – thirty seven years from then is 2021 by the way.
I first had this thought in Ralphs supermarket – rock'n'roll Ralphs in LA which I have written about before – the supermarket without the apostrophe: I used to have a 'Ralphs Card' which gave me a discount on my purchases and after a time the system got to know my card so as soon as I swiped it: out would come the offers on the things I would buy on a regular basis: Jamesons' Irish whiskey, Guinness and maybe some other sinful products that may increase my cholesterol or weight. So where did they get that information from and who else had access to it? My doctor? The Insurance company so they can assess my risk?
I don't like it.
I was on the tube the other day, going into Marylebone, and most of the people, in the carriage I was in, were staring at their cell phones. Most of those phones were smartphones and most of those had tracking devices on them.
So what?
Well I'll tell you so what, it's okay for their loved ones to know where they are but what about, for example, a stalker? A debt collector or an ex wife – I know people should pay their debts and stay married, I know but . .what if . . .
You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world.



3 comments:

  1. Room 101 was George's reference to a room at the BBC, apparently he worked in the propaganda section. The irony wasn't lost after all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant resume’ and thought provoking titbits about Orwell’s novel. Might suggest it to Linda as a Xmas present for me!

    ReplyDelete