Saturday, April 8, 2017

the birds and the bees!

Well I woke up this morning – dat da da da da – actually a few mornings ago; this wasn't any where near dawn, I might say, and a bird was singing a familiar refrain. Singing a song for me at his own expense (to quote Bob Dylan); when I went to the window I could see him at the top of a tree in the garden about 100 feet high. The song he sang was that of a robin and I've only ever known them to be on the ground or near to it in bushes.

I looked through the binoculars and sure enough – there it was, the red breast.
He was singing and calling out for a mate – it's a strange thing when you see them chirp as the sound they make they make without lips. We have to use our lips to whistle but the birdie does it without a bother.
The robin is supposed to be a nasty bird, or so they say, but when I have seen them being aggressive it is to protect themselves or shoo away a cat or an intruder.
I used to wake in California to sun shine and palm trees and the birds we saw there were humming birds which is the only bird, they say, who can fly backwards. I spent a lot of time, when I first moved to LA, on the balcony, or near, trying to get a photograph of one.
These days it would be easy as I would just film them, if I could get close enough, and freeze the film when editing.
That's the way I do my head shots these days.
But getting back to the birds and the trees – the tree I saw the robin in is at the top of this page. On that branch at the very top. Bit of a change from the palm trees but it's a pleasant outlook.
Here is what it is like from the front through the window of my little office:

I don't know the name of those trees. Not the green one but the one with the blossom which disappears after a short time each year. 
We have two at the front which shields us from the bad air of vehicles passing which are about twenty yards from us. If you know the name let me know.
Here is the question: the bird at the top of the tree is only there calling for a mate – any mate.
How do we do that and will we, the male of the species, always be the pursuer?
When I was young I would meet girls at or on the dance floor. It was easy as I would only ask for a dance and then it was always up to me to ask the girl out or make a date or even ask if I could walk her home. That would be a yes or no – nothing more. I might push that if I got a no but that would be the male in me pursuing.
But I could have taken a tip from the bird. I could have walked to the front of the dance floor to the stage and called out – like the robin – or I could have sung – ditto and . . .but we actually do that sometimes. Isn't that why the rock singer gets up and sings?
The other place I would meet girls would be at the cinema; I would (with a pal) sit behind two girls – and I know they would see us coming because they would tell me – and ask them to come and sit next to us; or we would sit next to them.
Then after a while I would sneak my arm around her and sit like that for a while. Then the kiss.
When the film ended I would usually walk out with the girl and maybe go for a walk.
One time, when we got outside, both girls were a good 6 inches taller than we were so we kind of went to the public loo and disappeared out the other exit. That took us to the other side of the street and when we walked back we looked over and could see that the girls had disappeared too.
Another time at the picture house in Ladywood, I sat around with a girl and didn't kiss her. I just sat with my arm around her till the end of the film.
We walked to a disused cricket field and she said 'why didn't you kiss me in the pictures?' and I said 'because I was watching the film.'

It was Horrors of the Black Museum – well??

2 comments:

  1. I must say I have to idea why the spacing changes now and again - I'll look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi , I think the pink blossom tree might be an Ornamental Flowering Cherry (i.e. Don't expect any cherries). No wor
    rise a
    bout line spacing it happens to me as well! he he
    Lovely blog, brought back memories, except I used The Ritz Bordesley Green and The Bulls Head Yardley. But the end result was the same.........heightened expectations and disillusionment waiting for the night service bus to get home!

    ReplyDelete