Sunday, July 19, 2015

Aubrey Morris; RIP.

Above you will see my dear friend, Aubrey Morris, who died last Wednesday.
I knew Aubrey since around 1984 when we made a film together. Ten years later, when I was moving to Los Angeles his brother, Woolf, also an actor, told me to look him up and gave me his phone number in LA.
He was 89 on June 1st – he was born the exact day as Marilyn Monroe – and I tried to call him but his voice mail was all I was greeted with.
So I left a message wishing him happy birthday and tried a few times since then with the same response.
I took loads of photographs of him over the years, as I did for a few actors, but I had to download the above from the Internet – whoever put that up didn't have a very good scanner but I like it.
We would meet each Thursday for breakfast in Hugo's on Santa Monica Boulevard and did so for some time till they changed the décor and from then on it wasn't the same.
So I would visit him from time to time in his apartment in West Hollywood where I would be treated to little speeches from Shakespeare that he'd remembered from his vast repertoire that he'd appeared in over the years.
Here he is in one of his most famous roles in Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange.
I always remember one of his scenes in the film where he visits Malcolm McDowell in hospital; he reaches over to the next bed for a glass of water, not seeing it has false teeth in the bottom, and doesn't notice till most of the water has been swallowed.
I have been away for a few days so this is the first chance I have had to write this; on Wednesday evening I dreamt I had returned to LA and went around to see Aubrey but he wasn't in; on Thursday evening another dream about trying to get in to his apartment and then on Friday I received an email telling me he had died.
I don't believe in any of that stuff but it makes you think doesn't it?
Oh well, Aubrey, Rest In Peace; hope you got my birthday wishes.
Here he is with Ian McShane in a TV series called Disraeli.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment