Tuesday, June 26, 2012

My 43 hour stay in Los Angeles.



Carneys on the Sunset Strip.
I had to go to Los Angeles on pressing business over the weekend; it was all arranged at the last minute so I didn't have time to contact any of my friends there but I left London Heathrow at noon on Friday and returned here at noon yesterday (Monday). So I was out of the country for exactly three days – wow!! 10,000 odd miles and all air miles.
It's a long way for such a short stay; I was there forty three hours.
The flight over there was via Chicago where I had to change planes and I watched a couple of movies on the way.
One was called Man on a Ledge; it's about a cop who has been framed and to prove his innocence stages a mock suicide attempt on a high building to divert attention from something that is happening across the street – somebody trying to prove the cop's innocence. I think the film was okay but it gave me strange sensations.
It looked very real with the cop standing on the ledge of a Manhattan high rise about two or three hundred feet from the ground and me being actually 38,000 feet from it.
Each time he got near to the edge I felt a kind of vertigo; I had to convince myself that it wasn't real. As I looked to my left I was travelling over clouds and in front of me the movie.
I couldn't get a direct flight, which would have been about eleven hours, so changing at Chicago made the whole journey door to door a twenty three hour jaunt – that is door to door counting the three hour stay at each airport.
But Los Angeles was the same as usual; I left there on June 30th last year and as soon as I got out into the street on Saturday it was as if I'd never been away. I know every nook and cranny, every stained piece of paving stone and bump in the sidewalk, where the tree routes push through, and I was welcomed at around six on Saturday morning by a familiar sound; a low flying helicopter. The police hovering above the ground looking after their city or a TV chopper checking traffic. Not a sound I find attractive, I have to say.
The sun hit me as I got out of my pal's car on Sunset Blvd and headed north on La Brea; people walking holding paper in front of their faces to hide the sun; others waiting at bus stops with the post from the stop between their face and the sun. It's a local habit but most people wear hats.
Half way up La Brea between Sunset and Hollywood Blvd a woman who was 'out of it' came walking the other way; I'd forgotten about that side of things – maybe Christal Meth?
A bit further up almost at Hollywood Blvd was a young man fast asleep on the footpath. He had some kind of blanket over him so only his head was in view. He seemed to be fairly good looking but out for the count. Maybe he came here to make his fortune and fell at one of the steps – that's the tragedy. People killing themselves trying to make a killing in movies.
There are usually lots of Goths on Hollywood Blvd but I don't think I saw any and when I passed Grauman's Chinese theatre the footpath was blocked off so I had to cross the street.
They usually block the sidewalk off if it's a star having their hands dipped in cement or a premiere; but the premieres are usually in the evening and it wasn't a cement ceremony.
As I passed it on the other side of the street a woman was taking photos of the place and I asked her what was going on: I don't know, she said and carried on taking photos.
A little later I went to one of my favourite eating places – Carneys on the Sunset Strip. You get the best chili dog in Los Angeles and that's what I got.
I like to go to Chili Johns in Burbank too but that's usually for the craic.
Anybody who reads this will know where I went next! Yes The Farmers' Market. It hadn't changed a bit and the Latino girls at Bob's Doughnuts and Patsy's Pizza were just as pretty.
I had hoped to call friends but with the lack of a cell phone and the scarcity of quarters for the pay phone it was a pain.
But I was looked after by my very good friend till I came back to London.
On the way back I had a better choice of movie – The Godfather and Doctor Strangelove – two classics which brought me back to the smoke.


1 comment: