Wednesday, December 21, 2011

An Irish Family Living in Birmingham.

Marlon Brando as Napoleon.

It was strange, as a child, to be living in an Irish community in Birmingham; all our parents' friends were Irish and apart from our little nuclear family (a phrase not invented then) we had no relations; they were in Ireland.

We knew people with strange accents but they were the next door neighbours.

Our Irish community was in Balsall Heath, a kind of inner city neighbourhood, and even though there were a lot of Irish there, I saw post cards in shop windows offering digs, rooms to let and flats with the addendum 'no Irish' – but that was when I could read.

And I learned to read at Clifton Road Primary & Junior School and Dennis Road Secondary Modern Boys School.

We lived in a little cottage in a place called South View Terrace; it probably had a lovely 'south view' of Moseley Road, at one time, but looking south out of the front door we had a view of a factory/offices called Locomotors or Locomotives – they owned the property and it was to them we paid the rent. 8/11 per week which is about 45 pence.

When I started school I found that the other kids spoke differently from me – they spoke with English accents; so I kind of copied the way they spoke. I was quite good at it but a few words remained such as walk which I would pronounce as wark and work which I would say as wurk. And all the equally rhyming words – or wurds!!!

So it was strange – we would go to Dublin three times a year with our English accents and by the time we came back to England we were Irish again.

I would play football in Ireland and they would shout 'pass the ball here, English!' and I would say 'I'm not English, I'm Irish!'

Then when we returned to England I would play football there and they would shout 'pass the ball here, Irish!' and I would say 'I'm not Irish I'm English!'

The school I went to was a Church of England School (Protestant) so I didn't let anybody know that we were Catholics. My mother was always telling me that I shouldn't be ashamed of being a Catholic and even made me take a Saint Christopher Medal which I would hide in my pocket; this was all at the first school, Clifton Road, by the time I got to Dennis Road we didn't care.

In those days there was an examination working class and middle class children took at the age of 10 called the eleven plus; this was for entry into grammar school. At grammar school kids were expected to stay on at school till they were 16; at my school we would leave at the age of 15; factory fodder.

Grammar school kids would take 'O' level GCE, General Certificate of Education, exams and if they stayed on they'd take 'A' levels and 3 of those would probably get them in to University.

At our school we didn't have to take any exams at all which was fine by me as I didn't like school or exams.

When I took the eleven plus I didn't put anything on the exam papers at all; my mother's friend, Mrs Williams, was the supervising teacher and attested to this and my mother was disgusted.

Apparently I just looked through the window.

Now if there was one thing I remember about Clifton Road School it was that the windows were high and you could only see the sky; so maybe I was looking towards the stars even then.

What I discovered was that if I looked out of the window, during regular lessons, I would get a clip around the ear and told to get on with it, but in exams the teachers walked around and supervised.

So when I went Dennis Road School I entered all the external exams for other schools: grammar schools, art schools, technical schools, commercial schools – you name it. The art schools I liked best because I had to paint all day and I loved painting even though I was no good.

I didn't pass any of those exams, of course, and when I left Dennis Road I didn't have any GCEs whatsoever; but I took them much later when they were easier for me. Just the ones I fancied: English Literature, Sociology and an A/O level in film studies which was the hardest.

One day at school I was picked for the Road Safety Knowledge Team; we were put on the stage and pitted against another team and asked questions about the Highway Code; which is a road safety booklet with all the rules about road safety, which drivers in the UK still have to answer questions from to pass their driving test.

The school hall was full – maybe about 500 kids and teachers – and when they asked me a question I got it right but the question master couldn't quite get the meaning of what I was saying so I explained it in a conversational tone, something like 'you know when you cross the street . . . . .?' and as soon as I said this, the whole school erupted in peels of laughter; I saw our teacher, Mr Jones, with his head in his hands laughing.

What I said wasn't particularly funny but something struck a chord with the audience which made them laugh; it was a wonderful feeling to get such a big laugh and it really is the greatest sensation when working in comedy. I was always getting laughs in the classroom so maybe that had something to do with the big laugh I got on that day and maybe it had something to do with me taking up acting; I don't know.

One of the teachers was called Mr Forster and he was the PE teacher and dressed very fashionably; he wore drain pipe trousers, suede shoes and had a very fashionable hair cut – a bit like Marlon Brando when he played Napoleon, and the mothers would wait outside the school, just to get a glimpse of him, as he walked his class across the street for the morning assembly.

'Isn't he lovely?' they would say and he would ignore them. He had a friend in Dennis Road Junior School and I think they were both, really, actors. I have heard his name about the profession and often wondered if he was the same person. The one thing he never did, though, was to cast me in any of the school plays.

In one play I remember one of the boys played two roles and all I did was watch; I knew all the lines of all the characters but was never asked. The boy who played the 2 roles was called Robert Mapp and at one point he was supposed to go off, get changed, then come back on as his other character.

On the night the play went out in front of the audience, he came back wearing the same costume; he said later he hadn't had time to change; and there I was sitting there!!!

That was in the junior school and Forster did a cowboy play, one time, at Dennis Road that I dearly wanted to be in but I'd been chosen to sing at the Town Hall in the choir!!

1 comment:

  1. I can never find out who the cretin was who used to pine after the "good old days". From the sound of it he/she [please note - being pc one can cast the verbal abuse a bit further] never went to your schools either!

    ReplyDelete