Saturday, July 31, 2010

The saga of the lost guitar by FedEx has come to a sad end.


Well here we are having arrived at Southampton and after a few days in London we are in Suffolk ready to be off for Edinburgh tomorrow morning; the guitar did arrive, by the way, a few days ago and when I opened the parcel upon our arrival yesterday I found it was broken at the neck; so isn't that a pisser? The guitar you see above is no more.

I went out this morning to Bury St Edmunds, had a cup of coffee and a scone at Harriets, and bought another guitar. It cost $186 and now I have to try and get some kind of compensation from FedEx. I know it will be difficult as they are already asking whether the claim goes to International FedEx or National FedEx so we shall see.

The crack is right at the neck and the action is a little higher because of this. When I took it out I played an open chord and my daughter said 'that doesn't sound too good' and it didn't.

I tried to re-tune it and that's when I saw the crack.

It's a shame because I've had that guitar for about fifteen years; it belonged to a country singer and I really liked the sound.

So have a last look at that guitar above.

Apart from the claims form I have to obtain a PPL licence for my show. A PPL licence is when you use recorded music during the show and I plan to recite a poem by WB Yeats called The Song of Wandering Aengus to some music by Áine Minogue; it's beautiful Celtic music and the poetry of Yeats is superb – which leaves me to do the rest; here's hoping.

We open on August 9th so keep watching this space!!

2 comments:

  1. aww dam they are useless, sorry to hear that m8, was it a well known country singer who owned it before you ? if so that would add to the cost they owe you + the replacement you paid for,
    good luck with the show and getting compo fom fedex,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris, what a damned shame your guitar arrived broken. The next problem you will have is convincing fedex that it was not in that condition when sent on it's routing around America and beyond. I agree with "chojn" above, there is an added value because of it's previous owner[s]. Taken 'em to the cleaners, and don't forget to add on the cost of phone calls, travel to and from B St E and the cost of the expert[your daughter]who advised you what guitar to buy as a replacement. I know I've mentioned it before, but no hrm in doubling my best wishes for a good show. Sock it ot them, man!!

    ReplyDelete