Monday, March 29, 2010

The missing fourteen hundred and thirty nine words.

Well this has been a bad week for computers in our house; I had some kind of bug or adware or whatever and it was called ‘Security Tool’ which was a great nuisance. I looked it up on the Internet and on You Tube there was a demonstration as to how to get rid of it but their computer wasn’t like mine so I had to buy a spy ware doctor.

I won’t go into chapter and verse on the removal but suffice it to say whatever ‘Security tool’ did was to mess up my machine and I had to do a ‘system restore’ which meant I had to download everything again which I had put on to the computer over the years like my photo shop and the pass words to the recording facilities I have.

I am driven towards asking the following question: who benefits from sending viruses around the Internet apart from snotty nosed kids who live with their parents and spend all the time in their rooms? The people who make the spy ware, I suppose.

So here I am almost back to normal; my head shots are on an external hard drive (LaCie) which has become corrupted.

I think it’s because there is a lot of footage on there from the filming I did in Ireland last year which was put on there from a MAC computer. I couldn’t access it from my PC so had to use a MAC drive – which wasn’t very good but I kept my head shots and other photos on there too and I think the mixture of the two systems has corrupted the drive; that’s only my theory.
I went to Kinko’s the other day to see if I could access it and they don’t have MAC computers there any more so I am lost.

It means of course that I haven’t been able to write anything lately; I was getting on so well with my novel but then I had the computer trouble; funny thing I just noticed – I write with Microsoft word but find Open Office a bit more ‘book’ or ‘novel’ friendly but what I find strange is that on ‘word’ I have written 47,103 words and in Open Office I have written 48,542 which means that fourteen hundred and thirty nine words are missing – now isn’t that strange?

So that’s all for now as I have to get on with it – toodleoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment