Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Filming a pilot!!







I'm not sure but I think yesterday was the coldest day in Los Angeles since I've been here; it's now fifty five degrees which is about as hot as it will get today and I see the low for today is forty one - yesterday was thirty seven; now this would be a summer's day in other parts of the world but this is Los Angeles in California here I come; the land of the sun and a lot of people here are just not used to it; it's really sunny, by the way, even if it's cold.

I was out at the flea market on Sunday selling my wares, which is what keeps me going between acting jobs, and it was like standing at Hemel Hempstead; which is one of the places I used to go and sell which is near London.

Our maladies seem to be over so I am back to ducking and diving for work the same as any other actor; I am booked into The Surgeon's Hall at the Edinburgh Festival next year for three weeks at six-o-clock so if you're in the neighbourhood come and see the show.
I've already written here that I plan to shoot a pilot in the new year in London for a comedy series; I don't think that's going to cost too much these days; the last time I did it cost me a fortune.

That was around nineteen ninety or so and then we had to shoot on film or the old fashioned video tape; taping then was not as acceptable as it is now with the way technology has taken off with High Definition etc.

We shot the movie on sixteen millimetre; I just dived into the project and took it from there but I had a lot of fun in fact so much fun that I'd love to do some of it again – some of it but not the excesses.

I wanted to direct something after taking over as the director on a movie I was in; that movie needed six additional scenes to make sense of the plot and they asked me to do it. I got on well with the Director of Photography (the DP) and as he was a documentary DP and wanted to get into drama I showed him my script and we decided to go ahead.

He was the cautious one and I was the hot head – as I said I just dived into it.

I knew actors so I could cast easily and play in it myself and he knew crew; the idea was to give people a promotion: we had a camera operator who was usually a focus puller, a focus puller who was a clapper loader and a clapper loader who was usually a camera assistant.

Of course people who don't know sometimes play down the importance of the clapper loader; the clapper loader has to take the film out of the camera, put it somewhere safe and put more film into the camera. Can you imagine shooting a multi million dollar movie (Titanic) and spoiling the film whilst changing it??

The sound was different; sound men are thin on the ground so we had a few; one of them went on to do Shakespeare in Love and loads of other movies.

Of course I was new to the game but I knew how to direct actors and I knew how to rehearse which usually does, and did, help us to discover things. I watched a lot of formulaic TV to get an idea how to set up the shots and if they were impossible I usually accepted it.

The other thing I did was to open an account with the Rank Organisation (J. Arthur Rank) to get the film processed; they didn't know me from Adam but they gave me a lot of credit and processed everything I gave them; of course they retained the negative so there was nothing I could do with the dailies or the rushes they gave me apart from look at them. I liked the excitement of dropping the film at various 'drops' around London who would deliver the film to Pinewood Studios to catch the evening 'bath' and I loved picking up the rushes the next day wondering what the film looked like.

I also got to know that there was such a thing as mag stock; 'where are you getting your mag stock?' I was asked and I kind of shrugged: 'mag stock?'

Well when you make a film visually you also have to record the sound; this is usually recorded on a Nagra Tape Recorder onto quarter inch tape; then when you edit the film on a Moviola or Steenbeck editor you thread the film using the perforations on the edges; so where are you going to put the sound if it is on quarter of an inch tape?

You have to get the sound transferred to mag stock which, if you are using sixteen millimetre film, will have to be the same width and it fits onto the Steenbeck (which we used).

Let me digress here to say that I have a pal, Jim Makichuk, who writes a blog, which you can access from here, about the move he is planning to produce; in fact he is producing it as he is in the planning and the raising money stage and he puts photos and things onto his blog – so I am planning to put photos up today and show you the Nagra, the Steenbeck and even the Moviola; the Moviola was the innovator and they are now collector's items; and there are the photos at the top of the page - the NAGRA on the left, then the Steenbeck at the top and the Moviola on the right.

After we finished shooting and then some re-shooting I had to settle down to the business of editing. I had appeared in an award winning student film called The Swimming Pool and I kept in contact with the students; one of them being the editor.

So I got in touch with him and he was the only one who wanted paying and he edited the film for me at the film school and I had to travel there once a week to pay him and see what he'd done.


It's not a good way as he had done too much by the time I saw it and I had to ask him to, for one thing, watch the continuity. We didn't have a continuity person on the shoot so we tried to do that ourselves and it showed; so he would re-do that for me then he would put it onto video tape and send it to me.

Later he came into London and we used the film school attached to the Royal College of Art in Kensington; that was fun!!

What we would do was go to the Royal College of Art at around ten thirty in the evening and go in and see someone leaving the cutting copy of the film. Then we would go the pub for a couple of pints and go back to the Royal College of Art having left a back door open and then we would work through the night without their knowledge.

I know we were breaking some kind of law but we didn't do any damage (honestly gov) and in any case I think the statute of limitations has passed.

Then we showed the film in the bad state it was, with no effects, fades or anything to a distribution company and they liked it; they liked it so much that they let me have use of their cutting room which was at their office – it even had, besides the Steenbeck, a Moviola!!

Now I needed to do a fine cut and a sound edit and a dub and, according to the editor, some post-syncing as he didn't like the sound in one of the scenes.

All this spelled money so I went to the bank and asked them to increase my overdraft and they did.

By then I had lost my partner – the DP – and the editor who didn't live in London in any case.


The bank agreed to back me in the production of the film and I paid the bill at Rank, which was at around $5,000 and I paid about $3,000 to my former partner to reimburse him for anything he might have spent.

Next time I will write about the post production and trying to sell the film and the idea for a series in Cannes.

No comments:

Post a Comment